or the women at On The Rise, a healthy and hearty meal enjoyed in a safe home is invaluable. We rely on the kind hearts and culinary talents of volunteers to cook a meal in their kitchen and deliver to ours. This volunteer opportunity is available 6 days per week and fills one of our greatest needs by being able to offer a healthy and hearty meal to a woman who otherwise would not have many options.
Don't shy away from this opportunity even if you don’t consider yourself a cook; store bought and pre-made items are also welcome. As the women are as diverse as their palates, you choose what you would like to make; it is sure to be appreciated and enjoyed! To respect the privacy of our women, volunteers do not serve lunch at On The Rise. We set up family-style in our comfy kitchen and women help themselves.
Volunteer Lunch Guidelines:
- Contact Marisa Serrano to schedule your delivery date in advance
- Entrée should serve 12 – 15 women, sides and dessert are optional
- Fresh fruit is encouraged with lunch donations
- Label ingredients so women can make a healthy choice
- Prepare items in disposable containers or label dishes with your name; we will clean and have ready for pick-up
- Refrain from cooking with alcohol
- Provide instructions if we need to reheat; kindly do not deliver raw or uncooked items
- Drop-off between 8am – 11am to 341 Broadway, Cambridge, MA. If you need to deliver the day prior, please call to make an appointment. In a hurry? Call ahead and we’ll meet you curbside to accept your lunch!
Need inspiration? We recently asked our women what food they miss while being homeless. Here’s a few ideas:
- Healthy options, like salads with meats and veggie toppings so I can make a choice.”
- I miss the parties my father held during sports games - tailgating foods.”
- Vegetarian meals, I didn’t eat meat growing up.”
- I miss the BBQ’s we had in our yard, I like BBQ all year round!”
- International flavors, like, Chinese, Indian and Mexican.”
- I like creating a wrap or sandwich that I can fill with meats, veggies and sauces of my choice.”
Click here to view our recipe box. These are menus shared by our lunch volunteers.
To sign-up for a day, contact Marisa at 617-497-7968 x 36 or email@example.com.