Cook a Lunch
For the women at On The Rise, a home-cooked and hearty meal enjoyed in a safe home is invaluable. We rely on the kind hearts and culinary talents of volunteers to cook a meal in their kitchen and deliver to ours.
This volunteer opportunity is available 6 days a week and fills one of our greatest needs by being able to offer a home-cooked meal to a woman who otherwise would not have many options.
Don't shy away from this opportunity even if you don’t consider yourself a cook; store bought and pre-made items are also welcome. As the women are as diverse as their palates, you choose what you would like to make; it is sure to be appreciated and enjoyed! To respect the privacy of our women, volunteers do not serve lunch at On The Rise. We set up family-style lunch in our comfy kitchen and women help themselves.
I want to cook a lunch! How do I sign up?
- Volunteers self schedule for a lunch on Meal Train. Dates in blue mean a person has already signed up to cook a lunch for that day. Dates in green are available for lunch! Simply click on the day and register! You'll get a reminder email one week before your scheduled date as well as a one day before reminder.
Do I cook at On The Rise?
- No. Volunteer lunch cooks prepare lunch in their homes. Kindly ensure your meal prep space is sanitized and that your hands are washed prior to and throughout your cooking experience. Please tie back any loose hair and survey your work space to prevent anything unforeseen from falling into the food.
What should I make? How much?
- Current favorites of the women this time of year are hearty soups, meat & veggie stews, chowder, chicken & rice, pork loin, beef chili, stir fry, pasta (lasagna, spaghetti with meatballs), shepherd's pie, chili and tacos.
- Lunch should be enough to serve 20-25 people.
When do I drop off lunch?
- Lunch drop-off is between 8am-11am to 341 Broadway, Cambridge, MA on the day of your assigned lunch day.
Can I drop my lunch off a day early?
- Yes! If you need to adjust your delivery to the day before, please call us at 617-497-7968 to let us know!
What if I want my containers back?
- We encourage using disposable containers. But if you'd like your dishes back, please label items with your name and we'll have them cleaned and ready for you to pick up at a later date.
Anything I shouldn't do?
- Please refrain from cooking with alcohol.
What if someone has an allergy or dietary restriction?
- Please label ingredients so women can make a healthy choice for themselves.
Do I include instructions to reheat food?
- Yes! Provide instructions if we need to reheat your lunch. Please do not deliver raw or uncooked items. Kindly check meat to ensure it's cooked all the way through.