EXCELLENT PLACE TO WORK
n The Rise’s Management Team and Board of Directors
are committed to running a secure, stable organization with
a strong infrastructure. On The Rise strives to be a premier
provider of services and an excellent place to work. Every
member of On The Rise’s 13-person staff is integral
to achieving our mission.
When opportunities arise, we will post them on this website and on www.idealist.org.
On The Rise creates a community where women have the relationships, safety and resources they need to move out of homelessness. We engage with those most in need and support their initiative and strength as they move beyond crisis and discover new possibilities.
On The Rise is a community-based organization with 13 employees and an annual budget of approximately $1M, from private philanthropy (80%) and government contracts (20%). On The Rise is committed to excellence, innovation and continuing evolution. We are committed to providing highly accountable and responsive programming and being an excellent place to work.
Operations Manager (Part-Time)
This half-time, exempt position reports to the Executive Director. The Operations Manager supervises two full-time Operations Associates.
The Operations Manager position is an opportunity for an experienced administrative professional to work at a senior/managerial level while operating on flexible, part-time schedule. The role is responsible for positioning the organization’s internal resources for maximum alignment with organizational goals. This position has responsibility for matters relating to accounting and finance, human resources, program measurement and analysis, facilities maintenance, contracts and administration.
- Work with the Executive Director and Finance Committee to design and implement financial strategies consistent with the organization’s strategic direction
- Create budget. Oversee annual planning and budgeting in coordination with senior management team
- Financial monitoring, forecasting and planning (operating, capital, investment) to ensure organizational health and appropriate financial reserves in short- and long-term
- Design and maintain appropriate internal control procedures
- Monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting
- Annual audit preparation; primary contact for annual audit
- Supervision and review of bookkeeping and account reconciliations
- Prioritization and management of accounts payable
- Management of banking accounts and relationships
- Manage organization’s spending within parameters of budget, including tracking of restricted fund use in accordance with donor designations
- Recommend to Executive Director and Finance Committee changes to spending based on actual revenue receipts and forecasts
- Handle government and other contract billing and grant reporting as needed
- Handle logistical/legal/documentation aspects of new hires, separations, and other changes in employee status. Maintain necessary employment records.
- Initiate and manage payroll processing
- Act as ‘go-to’ person for employees with questions and concerns regarding benefits and employment.
- With senior management, initiate and coordinate staff training and education, and morale-oriented staff events
- Manage benefits, liaise with providers, research and recommend changes to benefits and policies to senior management as necessary
- Work with senior management to develop & maintain employment policies
- Act as Affirmative Action and Disability officer
Contracts and Insurance and Risk Management
- Monitor and recommend changes to On The Rise’s insurance coverage to ensure adequate risk management
- In conjunction with Executive Director, oversee systems and policies to ensure compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements including insurance and reporting
- Maintain contract/correspondence files on all vendors engaged by On The Rise
Office and Facilities Administration
- Direct and supervisestaff and contractors responsible for operation and maintenance of building and site, keeping program space at a level of quality consistent with the organization’s mission, and office space at a level of quality consistent with the activities of a professional staff
- Negotiate and supervise major capital projects and related contracts
- Design systems to strengthen internal controls and systems for communication and record keeping.
Oversee development and execution of technology plan for On The Rise
- Oversee and maintain technology systems and network, including selecting hardware and software and coordinating staff training
With senior management team and other staff, guide the collection and storage of program data; develop, test and implement practices for improving and maintaining data quality
- Lead efforts to develop and test analysis and reporting on program data, and propagate programmatic knowledge gained throughout the organization as applicable
- Provide analysis and reporting to Development function
- Like all OTR employees, the Operations Manager will be flexible and open to “pitching in” as needed with other duties that arise in the course of a 14-employee organization’s operations
- Like all OTR employees, the Operations Manager is expected to strive to continuously increase skills and competence, e.g. taking advantage of opportunities for professional networking, continuing education and coaching.
- Commitment to the mission of On The Rise
- BS in accounting and minimum 5 years of related work experience required
- Supervisory experience required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel) and QuickBooks required. High degree of comfort with technology and online applications needed (PC environment); experience maintaining LAN desirable.
- Some direct service experience or exposure to homeless/trauma a plus
- Sense of humor
- Ability to work as a member of a team while maintaining independent discipline
- Dynamic, engaging and creative
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail; self-starter
- Ability to prioritize and self-manage multiple tasks and projects
- Ability to work in a diverse environment, with openness to new learning and perspectives
How to Apply:
Please address these questions in a cover letter:
What excites you about On The Rise's mission and what are your strongest skills and qualifications that will help you in this role?
Please apply on-line by submitting your résumé and cover letter as attachments to: email@example.com with "Operations Manager" in the subject line.
Safe Haven Internship
Academic Year 2014 - 2015
Overview of On The Rise, Inc.
On The Rise, Inc. (OTR) is a dynamic, Cambridge, MA-based non-profit founded in 1995 that serves women in crisis and homelessness throughout the region.
OTR’s Safe Haven is a low-threshold day program in which women may participate – usually without changing their behavior, without disclosing private information, and without committing to a schedule of future achievements or benchmarks. The program is intended for women whose histories of trauma and chronic difficulty engaging with the social service system indicate the need for a longer period of engagement with low barriers to entry.
The Safe Haven provides a dignified and respectful community in which women can receive tangible goods and services – meals, clothing, toiletries, laundry, bathing, housewares, telephone and voice mail, access to health and legal services, strengths-based opportunities for artistic expression like painting, writing and theater groups, and more. These activities provide the framework in which program participants may, over time, establish relationships with OTR’s staff of Community Advocates. When these relationships reach a level of trust and confidence that meets a woman’s needs, she may (and often does!) choose to use the support and skills of the Advocates to take on more complex challenges, like physical and mental health concerns, addiction, criminal histories, domestic violence, etc.
For more information, please visit our website: www.ontherise.org
Description of Position
OTR’s Safe Haven Interns provide direct service in OTR’s flagship program, helping to deliver the goods and services available through the Safe Haven and fostering a supportive community in which program participants can progress beyond their immediate tangible needs and begin to gain access to the broader social service network through OTR’s team of Advocates. In the Safe Haven, interns begin to develop hands-on experience with the population OTR serves, learning about the variety and complexity of the women’s challenges, and the cumulative impact of trauma in their lives. Working with OTR’s Community Advocates, interns learn effective techniques and practices of providing holistic services, using a relational model informed by the philosophy of harm reduction.
OTR’s internships are unpaid.
The Safe Haven Internship requires a minimum commitment of 16 hours per week for the academic year. College juniors, seniors or graduates are preferred. Interns are supervised by OTR’s Safe Haven Advocates.
Interns will have interest in the mission of On The Rise and a desire to further this mission through direct service to women. Coursework in trauma, substance abuse, mental health, homelessness and other relevant topics are a plus. Excellent active listening skills are needed as well as an empathetic non-judgmental perspective, ability to work well with a wide range of populations, good problem-solving skills and a sense of humor!
Direct service to women:
- Participate in organization’s data collection and performance measurement and evaluation activities.
- Attend semi-weekly Advocates Team meetings and weekly staff meetings to develop responses to individual cases, and develop understanding of program participants’ challenges.
- Attend occasional trainings on specific topics, as recommended by staff.
- Accompany staff on visits and appointments with program participants.
- As appropriate accompany women on outside appointments.
Fundraising, Administrative and Other:
- Support staff in supplying, organizing and maintaining program needs, offices and facility: food and supplies, files, tools, donations, etc.
- Assist with occasional Development projects – publications, mailings, volunteer events, fundraisers, etc.
- Like all OTR employees, Interns will be flexible and open to “pitching in” as needed with other duties that arise in the course of a small organization’s day-to-day operations
On The Rise is partially supported by MOVA through the 1984 VOCA grant from the Office of Victims of Crime, Office of Justice Programs, and the U.S. Department of Justice. On The Rise recognizes the importance and benefits of diversity in the workplace and the community. We are an AA/EOE, and we strongly encourage people of color to apply. Individuals who have experienced homelessness or overcome other significant life challenges are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
Please address these questions in a cover letter:
1. What excites you about On The Rise's mission?
2. What are your strongest skills and qualifications that will help you in this internship?
3. What do you hope to learn?
Please apply on-line by submitting your résumé and cover letter as attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org with "Academic Year Internship" in the subject line.